Friday, December 13, 2013

The Surgery

After rushing to the hospital in the nick of time Dan, Rich and I were able to give my Dad a blessing.  Rich performed it, the blessing was a great experience and I believe it calmed my father down and prepared him for the major surgery he was about to undergo.  After plenty of hugs, we waved goodbye as my dad headed off to the operating room.

Geoff began surgery at about 12:00 pm.  We did not hear anything until about 5:30.  The conversation with the nurse went something like this "he is stable and doing okay, we have sent several specimens out for analysis and we will get back to you in a couple of hours".  Talk about vague, we sat and waited for the next call.

The next conversation was more informative.  We spoke to Dr Belnap, he said that they were still working on the removing the tumor and that it would take more time to do so.  He also shared some great news: the tumor has not metastasized - meaning it has not spread and is local in the pancreas.  He said that they would remove as much of the tumor as possible and treat the rest with a "radiation catheter".  He was busy and said that he would not be able to answer questions because he needed to get back to the operation.

About an hour later they called with more great news:
  • They have removed the tumor completely
  • They were in the process of sewing him back up
  • Lymph node tissue tests confirmed that the cancer has not spread
  • They would proceed with the radiation catheter
The Radiation Catheter

My mother had read just a little bit about this prior to the surgery but for the most part we have learned all about this tonight.  This is a fairly new therapy but when it has been practiced they have seen great results. The radiation catheter is a tube that is placed right at the site of the removed tumor or the "tumor bed".  A rod is then attached to the tube (or tubes) and comes out of the skin.  Over the next week they will treat the tumor bed with radiation. Think of removing the tumor as a one two punch.  They remove all (or all they can) of the tumor surgically and then treat right at the site with radiation to really make sure that the tumor is gone.  Here is the kicker: the PA told me that when they do this the chance of regrowth is "very rare"!

I hesitate to get too excited, we still have unanswered questions and I may be misunderstanding what they have told us in these quick conversations.  However there has clearly been great news tonight the many who love this man have a great deal to hope for.

I must say that I am seeing many miracles taking place throughout this experience.  We almost missed out on our critical connection with Dr Belnap due to a insurance problem.  I could go into greater detail but I believe that we had help from above to make this connection happen.  I know there have been promptings telling us when things just didn't feel or look right with my dad.  Yesterday, when my dad went through a complication that eventually led him to surgery, he was very upset and all by himself.  I just happened to be on my way to see him for a quick visit at that very moment.  I was able to get in and encourage him just before the ambulance came to wheel him away.  We had short notice of the rush into surgery that took place this morning but Rich, Dan and I showed up at the hospital within five minutes of each other and were able to give him a much needed blessing.  All of these things plus the other comfort and guidance we have received through prayer and fasting confirms to me that Heavenly Father is keeping close watch over our family at this time.
  

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to get there in time to give him a blessing before he went into surgery. It sounds like the Lord has provided some tender mercies for you and your family. Thanks for the updates on your dad. We continue to pray for him and the rest of your family. (This is Natalie (Poulsen Germaine) I guess I was signed in to Joe's account)

    ReplyDelete